Friday, September 5, 2014

Birth Story

August 7, 2014, 3:00 pm I went in for my second appointment of the week to complete another stress test. Since I was far along in my pregnancy the doctor wanted to be extra cautious to make sure baby was doing okay and fluid levels were safe. I was in there for 20+ minutes and during that time I had two decent contractions. After the nurse finished and said all was good she put me in a room to examine me. Her mouth dropped and she said, "Girl, you're 7 cm......you're going to be having that baby today!" The other nurse in there was just as shocked that I was far along and not having crazy, close contractions. The doctor came in, confirmed, and told me to go to the hospital. I asked if I could go home to get my stuff and my husband and without hesitation she said, "No." Eeek!

I was admitted around 4:00 pm still at 7 cm. Spencer arrived around 4:30pm...yay! I received my epidural around 5:00pm, the nurse broke my water at 5:45pm, and my contractions continued at a slow, steady pace for the next few hours. Since I wasn't progressing too quickly I was given Pitocin. My contractions weren't too painful (at first)- I could feel a little pain in my lower abdomen with each one. Once my contractions got more intense the pain intensified in my lower right abdomen. I knew something wasn't right. Soon I would find out that I had a 'hot spot.' I was feeling all the labor pains in this one spot - the size of a grapefruit. The anesthesiologist was called back in. She gave me a larger dose. The pain was still there. Then I was to make the choice if I wanted her to take out my epidural and replace it. After a couple more intense labor pains I said, "Yes." I had to move positions and sit up in bed for the epidural. I never experienced pain like this. I couldn't breathe, talk, chew gum, or cry. It took 15ish minutes to replace the epidural and it worked! I was so relieved. BUT, because I had moved positions I was now at 10cm and ready to push. And boy did I want to push. Unfortunately, my doctor wasn't there so I was told not to push. The next 20ish minutes were so hard; all I wanted to do was push, but I couldn't. Soon my doctor arrived and she said push when ever you are ready. I. WAS. READY. Seven pushes later Will Garrett arrived.

 
William Garrett Knowlan
August 7, 2014 at 9:42pm
6 pounds, 6 ounces; 20 inches
 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Will Garrett is a beautiful addition to your family! And we are so proud of the parents that you and Spencer are :)

    ReplyDelete