Sunday, October 24, 2010

Spencer's 1st Visit to Old Mesilla, NM


Every Saturday Spencer and I have tried to get out of the house and explore the EP area. Yesterday was a gorgeous day here in EP, it truly felt like fall so we drove the 35-40 minute drive to Historic Old Mesilla, NM. The Plaza area is a large square made up of little shops, a church, cafes, and restaurants. This was my third trip there and it was completely different than the other two. The last two times I went I was accompanied with women so we focused on browsing everything in all the shops!

This time with Spencer, who loves history (seriously...if he ever has the remote it is either on ESPN or The History Channel...seriously!) I was able to learn why this little town is so historic. For starters Billy The Kid used to hide out in this area and his trial was held in a building here on the square that used to be the town's courthouse; also just a few blocks from the square a battle of The Civil War took place; and finally this area is also part of the Pony Express trail. I know there is much more "history" to this place.

We did browse through some of the stores. Spencer sampled some wine and bought a couple of bottles. :-) I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the beautiful jewelry and pottery. We ate lunch at La Posta, a Mexican restaurant that has been around for 70+ years. It was really tasty and the atmosphere was gorgeous! The lobby was full of beautiful, exotic birds! We finished the afternoon with a visit to The Chocolate Lady's store and purchased some chocolate treats!





chocolate covered strawberries


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great little place to visit! We will have to visit there sometime with you.

    ReplyDelete