Saturday, August 19, 2017

Eleanor Mae Knowlan's Birth Story

The end of my pregnancy was pretty rough between the veins and swelling of my left foot and the pain in my lower back/leg on the right side of my body made it extremely hard for me to walk. I stayed 2-3cm dilated with Ella for more than 3 weeks!!

Three days after Ella's due date, the Tuesday after Memorial Day, 5/3/0/17 I went in for a NST and OB appointment. She was doing well and was in position to enter the world. My doctor said by breaking my water she would be here quickly and with Spencer leaving in less than 2 weeks for a two-week Army training we were ready to have Ella here with us. So, we checked into the hospital around 11:00-11:30.

They started my pitocin drip around 12:30 and I was feeling fine. I even bounced on a large exercise ball and had nice conversations with Spencer, my mom and dad. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me my epidural around 2:45 and things continued to keep a slow, steady pace. The nurse broke my water around 4:10 and things picked up pace a bit. I got to keep a large peanut shaped birthing shindig between my legs for more than an hour to help baby make her way down. :) 

The nurses changed staff at 7:00pm and I felt more and more pressure by the minute. I went from 7 to 10 cm rather quickly. The nurse had me do a couple of practice pushes and then had me stop because the baby was right there! Dr. Woolard arrived and barely got her scrubs on; 2 pushes later baby girl came flying out and the doctor caught her! She had a head full of hair! Introducing...

 Miss Eleanor Mae Knowlan









No comments:

Post a Comment