Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Back to School...

Soooo...I've been substituting for a first grade class since the 21st of April and am certain that I will finish out the year there until June 4th. This is really, really exciting news for me!!! I love, love, love being back in the classroom and I finally feel like I "belong" in El Paso. This elementary school reminds me so much of my first job at South Elementary in Jackson, MO. Everyone (from secretaries, to teachers, to the volunteer workers, to administrators) make you feel comfortable and 'at home.' It is a perfect, tight knit community!


I love teaching first grade! The kids love to please you and they want to learn. I do come home completely exhausted, but it is worth it. Best of all...their favorite thing is for you to read to them! There isn't anything more rewarding than having 20+ kids sitting 'criss-cross applesauce' on the bilingual, colorful carpet completely engaged in the book of your choice!


The principal came to me two weeks ago and asked if I was certified for Kindergarten. When my response was "yes" she was overjoyed and told me that her Kinder numbers for next year keep growing and it is very possible that she will have to open a new K class next year! She won't really know if she can or not until the end of the summer, but I am so hopeful and excited that this could very well be a possible job opportunity for me! I'll keep ya posted!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that you are having a great experience. And they are lucky to have you! You are an amazing teacher!! Lot of prayers for you and that Kindergarten job in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, awesome, awesome! We'll be praying for that job. I just told Stuart I think you'd make a wonderful Kindergarten teacher.

    ReplyDelete