What did I do next? Well I punched in "Go Home" on the GPS. I felt myself driving away from this area where I was completely uncomfortable. Then, of course, I'm driving on roads I've never seen before. After I drove around this large curve I see this extremely tall bridge that is also curved so I can't see what is ahead. Immediately all kinds of thoughts come to my head...the biggest thought..."OH MY GOSH, I'm getting ready to drive across the bridge to the border!!!" Immediately I began having a panic attack (I think, I've never really had one, but my whole body was overheated, tense, and I had to remember to breathe and of course my heart was pounding.) Luckily as I continued to drive on this bridge (there was no area to turn around!) it curved away from the immediate direction of Juarez and parallel instead.
For the next TEN MILES...I was driving parallel to Juarez. It was on my left as I looked out the window and Interstate-10 was on my right. I was spastic the whole 10 miles. I could see the black border fence way too well. It was the only thing separating this road I was driving on from Juarez. As I drove I continued to see signs that said, "DO NOT PICK UP HITCH HIKERS ON THIS ROAD." I prayed the whole way that God would get me home safely and He did. I must say this was one of the scariest situations that I've been in.
Here is a picture I found on Google that someone took as they drove on the same road I was on.

Love it!
ReplyDelete